Loudoun Virginia drug laws are very strict and it is important for every individual to follow these laws and regulations. Drugs are divided into schedules in the state of Virginia as in other states. These schedules contain the charges and penalties that are based on the drugs mentioned in each schedule. According to the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) of 1970, there are 5 schedules, which differs with the drugs that are mentioned in it and the crimes that one can be charged with.
Drugs in each schedule are divided on the basis of how addictive the drugs are and how medically useful they are. Schedule I contains the most addictive controlled substance, and the severity goes down by each schedule. Following are the five categories of schedules as stated by Loudoun Virginia drug laws.
- Schedule I: This schedule contains the most addictive drugs. They are unsafe and holds a high potential for abuse. The use of such medical substances is not allowed. Examples are Heroin, ecstasy, LSD, GHB, Marijuana, etc.
- Schedule II: Drugs that are mentioned in this schedule bear a high potential for abuse and severely affects the psychological or physical dependency. Methamphetamine, Morphine, cocaine, methadone, Ritalin, etc. are included in schedule II.
- Schedule III: Substances that are involved in schedule III, however, have less potential but still lead to moderate or low physical dependency with high psychological dependence. The examples are Anabolic steroids, Vicodin, ketamine and other depressants.
- Schedule IV: These substances bear a lower potential as compare to previous Examples involved many prescribed drugs, including tranquilizers like Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, Rohypnol, Soma, etc.
- Schedule V: According to the Loudoun Virginia drug laws, substances that are mentioned in this schedule contain limited amount of narcotic. Cough medicines with codeine in them are the example schedule V.
Drug Crimes in Virginia
There are different type of drug crimes as mentioned in the laws and regulations of the Virgina. The most common three type of drug crimes is manufacturing, possession, and distribution. The illegal manufacturing of these controlled substances is considered as a serious crime, and the convict is treated as a criminal. Possession does not only mean to hold a drug in your hand, but it also includes having a controlled substance anywhere that a person within his or her control. Possession of a controlled substance with the intent to sell or distribute it has the same penalty as being found guilty for selling or distributing as mentioned in the Loudoun Virginia drug laws.
How to Defend Yourself?
The conviction of drug crimes can lead to severe negative consequences which also affects the future opportunities like getting difficulty in obtaining employment. If a person is facing any criminal charge, it is indispensable to assist an experienced criminal defense lawyer. A qualified criminal defense attorney can help an individual to provide much needed legal advice and representation in the court. These lawyers give knowledge about the Loudoun Virginia drug laws to their clients. They help to build a strong defense process to get the penalties reduced or dropped off. Thus, this is where the presence of an experienced attorney will be a great advantage for the accused.